Monday, October 09, 2006

thankfulness

Today I am going to try and practice thankfulness ...

Encarta defines it as such:

thank·ful (a)
Definition:

1. feeling gratitude: feeling or expressing gratitude. We must be thankful for small mercies.
2. glad about something: glad or relieved about something

thank·ful·ness (n)
Synonyms: gratitude, thanks, appreciation, appreciativeness, recognition, acknowledgment
Antonym: ingratitude

grat·i·tude (n)
Definition:

thanks: a feeling of being thankful to somebody for doing something. I'd like to find some way of expressing my gratitude to her for all she did.
[15th century. Directly or via French < Latin gratitudo < gratus "pleasing"]

Today I am trying my best to be thankful ... to express gratitude for the many blessings in my life. I tend to be one of those people who sometimes dwell on the negative when there is so much positive to think about instead. Sometimes I feel like things just aren't going "my way" and therefore I should just throw in the towel. I know, I know, it's an obsurd thought. But none the less, it enters my mind frequently. Therefore, today I am going to actively practice the act of thankfulness.

No comments: