Tuesday, August 05, 2008

conversations with students

Now that it is officially intercession here at the university we have a chance to reflect on the happenings over the past few weeks during registration, etc. What I don't understand is how much these students really think that someone should be doing things for them, telling them everything they need, and that they honestly think they shouldn't have to be proactive in any regard. I mean, the most common answer I get from students is, "No one told me." I mean, really? Really? That's your excuse? Well, truly, it's the parents fault and none other. These parents do everything for their students and never allow their children to make their own mistakes or to learn to be self-sufficient. It's pathetic!

I know I'm just ranting at this point, but consider this ... in the 'real world' if you some how don't receive your electric bill in the mail that month, does that mean that your electric bill is no longer due? Would you expect the electric company to call you up and say, "By the way, we haven't received your payment yet, don't forget it's due." NO. And if you call them when you're late and tell them you never received your bill do you think they'll say, "OH, well in that case, you don't need to worry about paying." NO. Seriously. I truly think these kids have no idea what to do with themselves. They just skate through school ... thinking that Mom or Dad will take care of it for them. Well, they'll receive a rude awakening when they get out there and realize that life isn't a bowl of cherries. It's sad. And when I try my darndest to get these kids to become more self-sufficient I'm given attitude.

Am I just old? Was I really that stupid when I was 18 or 20 years old? Have I just forgotten what it was like? I mean, I remember my mom making me go pay for things by myself when I was quite young ... making me talk to people and ask for things, etc all by myself so I would get used to asking questions and becoming more self-sufficient. Sure we all fall short and we all need a little support now and then ... Do these kids really expect things handed to them? Do they really expect to not look up the answer for themselves? It is the one thing that really drives us all crazy in this office. Other than the people who work here that don't take any pride in their work, aren't proactive, don't truly care about the student, that's a post for another day ...

Maybe the point is that it's not just the students. Maybe it's people in general. People today have more conveniences than ever in the past. People today receive information in a second with the world at their fingertips. From microwaves that cook their dinner in 5 minutes to cell phones that put them in touch with someone in no time ... this fast paced world ... has it truly caused us to stop using our brains? Has this world we all live in caused us to lose our ability to think outside the box? Thoughts to ponder ...

I know I could go on and on and on ... hell, I've worked here for over 5 years ... but I'll leave the rest of my ranting for another day. On a much more positive note, during intercession we can wear jeans ... and our call volume and walk-in volume, etc drops off significantly. Hallelujah! Plus, my grandma is coming to visit me on the 14th and my sister comes home from L.A. on the 16th! This is going to be a nice break :-)

No comments: