Monday, October 06, 2008

Trusting God to Provide

I am leading the bible study tomorrow night and for this fall through spring we're studying from the book RememberRepentRestore. This study is a 16 week series focusing on the Old Testament. This should be a good study ... I'm already liking the first chapter, Trusting God to Provide. Life hasn't been easy for me although I know for certain that things could be much worse. I really am blessed and I continually have God's favor though it is so hard to trust that He will provide and that I will be taken care of.

As the description says: "Why is it so easy to turn away from God? After all He’s done, is doing and will continue to do in our lives, we turn our backs on Him every single day! We lie. We cheat. We steal. We think bad thoughts. We’re constantly turning away from what we know is real and just and right, and we follow what’s easy or self-serving or just 'right now.' And no matter how hard we might try to do good, be good and influence other people to do and be the same, there’s just no way to not make mistakes. But here’s the good news: God remains faithful … even when we don’t. He’s the same in the good times and the bad. Despite the divisions, failures, and yearnings that plague our lives today, God never gives up on us."

This study "focuses on a dark time in Israel’s relationship with God that was marked by both military and spiritual failure. But even in the dark God reached out with the promise of hope for those who would follow Him. Each week’s study will uncover a genuine understanding of spiritual growth, and reveal an exciting look into how we all fit into God’s masterful plan. By helping us remember our passion for following God and how to effectively repent of life as usual, this study will restore our longing to follow God’s perfect plan for each of our lives."

Our memory verse for this week is 1 Kings 17:16. The NIV states, "For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah." To better understand this verse I like to look at The Message. Verses 15 and 16 state, "And she went right off and did it, did just as Elijah asked. And it turned out as he said—daily food for her and her family. The jar of meal didn't run out and the bottle of oil didn't become empty: God's promise fulfilled to the letter, exactly as Elijah had delivered it!"

This verse serves as a reminder that God provides for those whom He calls. The question for this week is: How do difficult circumstances affect my trust in God?



I have been thinking a lot lately about being single and turning 30. I know that God has a plan for me and that my life is destined to be everything I've wanted. What is hard is trusting that God truly will provide for me. I continually struggle with the trust issue. Deep down I know that it will all go according to His plan ... I just don't know what that plan is ... and I can't help but worry that maybe His plan won't be my plan. This, of course, is just what the enemy wishes from us. The enemy wants us to be filled with doubt so we grow ever farther away from Christ. I am renewed by the message from Matthew 6:25-34, especially verse 33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you." Yes, Lord, I will seek you and trust you to provide.

No comments: